are what some art critics have to
say about Chidi and his creations:
These art works express universal emotions, contemporary forms,
and the global idealism of their creator” The Georgia Straight
July 6 2000
works are very colorful."
Afro News, Vancouver, BC, April 1997
paintings are noble, vivid, honest and poetic."
Diversity News, Seattle USA, November 1995
. . is a welcome addition to the lower mainland's Black community
and his contribution to the arts in BC does our community proud.
"Afro News, Vancouver. September
. . he represents a new generation of artists who are taking steps
further from the black power and identity concerns of their
predecessors to embrace a global identity." Diversity News, Seattle, USA, November 1995
. . . provides strong contrasts in feeling and use of the
Now, Burnaby, BC, 1995
. . his art is not only an exploration of visual aesthetics but a
creative search for the enthronement of saner values based on
man's respect of his inheritance."
Vanguard, Nigeria, October 1993
personified trinity of competence, prestige and influence in his
Guardian, Nigeria 1993
. . a sculptor whose creative instances are clearly channeled
towards a reflection of both his contemporary and cultural
Times, Nigeria, April 3 1993
"The works are apt reflections of both an artistic use of
materials and the use of wood, stone, metal and concrete to
represent the aesthetic dimension of the world view of
Africa." Daily Times, Nigeria 1993.
thoughts and feelings as an African are deeply expressed in his
art works." Sunday
Champion, January 24 1993
"Concept and execution of his works features extensive
Champion, Nigeria, January 1993
"This social relevance of art works in terms of messages they
convey, is the thrust of his new book Lamentation."
The Guardian, 1993
"Chidi manages wood, metal, fiber glass and cement with great
efficiency that one wonders if Chidi was born to rule these
News, Nigeria, December 1993
“ . . . an artist with a mission for cultural re-armament."
The Guardian, Nigeria 1993
"Besides being socially conscious in the works, Chidi is a
cultural irredentist." The
Guardian, Nigeria 1993
“ . . . a cry of a man who has seen a solution to the problems
of the society." The
Outlook, Nigeria, August 23, 1992
Art Reviews, African art
reviews, American Art Review, art critic
reviews, chidi art
critic reviews, painting reviews, sculpture reviews,
Nigeria art reviews,
AND MAGAZINE REVIEWS
1) Artist in our midst. Revue Vancouver BC January 16 2000
2) Brightening the Grey by Janet Smith, The Georgia Straight
Vancouver BC July 6- 13 2000
3) Chidi Okoye mene la danse des couleurs by Josee Malenfant, La
Source, Vancouver BC 7 juin 2000
4) Artist dreams of African centre by Lisa Smedman, The Vancouver
Courier June 28 2000
5) Villa Benzi, opera donata da un artista nigeriano by Francesco
Dominoni Il Piave Marzo 2000
6) L’ arte nera di Okoye by Dominoni Francesco, La Tribuna,
Montebeluna Italy April 2000
(7) Art: A strong and Powerful Vocabulary..... by Tess Kingston.
The Afro News; Page 8 April 1997.Vancouver BC.
(8) New works by local artist Chidi Okoye. The Afro News, Page 1,
March 1997. Vancouver BC.
(9) Artist Express Black History.... by Tess Kingston. The Afro
News page 15, March 1997.Vancouver BC.
(10) Profiles Artist Chidi Okoye, Artist / Sculptor / poet.
Profiles Entertainment Magazine Vancouver BC Fall 1997 page 36
(11) Three local Artists on exhibit at GM Place, The Afro News
page 2 April 1996 Vancouver BC.
(12) R.O.A.T. Art Exhibit for Black History Month. The Afro News
page 9, February 1996, Vancouver BC
(13) Black Artists have Kuumba by Sandra Cheung. The Ubyssey
Tuesday, February 27,1996. Vancouver BC.
(14) Artist, Poet and Sculptor. The Afro News, page 11 September
1995 Vancouver BC
(15) B.B.PA: Successful First Friday. The Afro News, May 1995
(16) A Celebration of Colors. Diversity News, November 1995,
(17) Taste of Nigeria evident in art exhibit by Anne Boulanger.
Burnaby Now, May 17 1995 Burnaby BC.
(18) Art show uses color and form to demonstrate Africa’s
harmony. Inside. The Douglas College Newsletter, June 1995. New
(19) ‘Journey to Our roots’ a review by Chubuike Nwokorie .
Sunday Champion, January, 23 1993
(20) Chidi Okoye’s sculptures by Ezenwa Ohaeto. Daily Times.
Saturday, page 17 April 3,1993 Nigeria.
(21) For greater values through art by Yereba Kina. Vanguard, page
8, Thursday, October, 14,1993. Nigeria.
(22) Art, beauty and environment by Dr. Ezenwa Ohaeto, Daily
Times, April 6,1993
(23) Okoye’s Harvest, Sunday Times, page 12, October 31,1993,
24) Okoye’s Random Musings by Amanze Obi The Guardian on Sunday,
December 26 1993, Nigeria.
(25) Heartful Songs by Oke Nwankwo The Guardian, Saturday,
December 25, 1993 Nigeria.
(26) Textures of Life by John Odey Aduma.
Vanguard page 8 Saturday 13, November 1993 Nigeria.
(27) Mobil Launches Chidi Okoye, Mobil News, December 1993,
(28) Textures of Anguish by Taofik Akanni. The Guardian on Sunday,
page B 11, November 14, 1993, Nigeria
(29) On the Move by Taofik Akanni. The Guardian on Sunday, page
11, October 24,1993, Nigeria.
(30) The Textures of Life by Dajuma Bawa, Sunday Champion. October
(31) An Artist’s intimacy with his medium and techniques by
Kryds Ikwuemesi. The Out Look. September 19 1992. Nigeria
(32) A Sculptor’s journey to our root by Orakwue Arinze. The Out
Look on Sunday. August 23 1992, Nigeria.
Art Reviews, African art
reviews, American Art Review, art critic reviews,chidi
art critic reviews, painting reviews, sculpture reviews,
nigerian art reviews,
Mask duty. The Calgary Sun. Monday, August 11 1997. Calgary AB.
(2) Heritage. Ubyssey. February, 1997 Vancouver BC.
(3) Heritage. The Province. Thursday,.April 24 1997. Vancouver BC.
(4) Profiles. The Afro News, page 13 October 1997 Vancouver BC.
(5) Art Sale. The Afro News, page 18 August 1996 Vancouver BC.
(6) Vibrant Artwork. The Seattle Times. Saturday, February 17,
1996 Seattle US.
(7) Songs of Our Land. The News in Burnaby. Wednesday May 17 1995,
(8) Opening Ceremonies, Black History Month. Afro/Carib News, page
9 March 1995, Vancouver BC.
(9) Okoye’s Responsibility. Festac News, March 4, 1995, Nigeria.
(10) Milk Maid Daily Times Saturday, March 27 1993, Nigeria.
(11) We shall overcome. Sunday Times, page 12 November 21 1993,
(12) Agony of a widow. The Punch, June 9, 1993. Nigeria.
(13) Chidi Okoye at the 10th Nation Festival of Arts
and Culture. Abuja National Light, April 11, 1993, Nigeria.
(14) Nnenwa. The Champion, January 1993, Nigeria.